Did you know that LSU has eight campuses in their system? Listen as Lisa and her guest, Andrew Maas, discuss his journey to Tech Transfer, the LSU system, what led up to his position at LSU, his office’s success, LSU’s licenses, disclosures, patents and much more on this episode of Tech Transfer IP.
Andy is the Associate Vice President of Louisiana State University. Andy is responsible for managing, purging, and supporting the development, disclosure, and protection of LSU’s inventions and intellectual property. Andy oversees and supports LSU’s technology managers in negotiating licenses commercializing its intellectual properties. Andy supports, mentors, and advises LSU inventors and administration on the application of intellectual property and policy-relevant regulation.
Listen as Andy shares his journey from a small startup in Dallas to Associate, Vice President of LSU, and what the LSU system entails. He speaks about how his office is structured, how the workload is divided, and what he would like to happen if he had a magic wand.
Andy discusses how his office gets bids from patent attorneys, how they work with their corporate partners, some of their most significant successes and challenges. Andy talks about his involvement with AUTM, how he feels about credentialing, and whether he feels it’s important when hiring team members.
In This Episode:
- [01:44] Welcome to the show, Andy!
- [02:02] Andy shares his journey to tech transfer and LSU in particular.
- [04:28] Andy speaks about going to grad school but went to law school.
- [06:38] He was asked to write a proposal for a grant to create a virtual proof-of-concept center in Akron.
- [08:53] How did you get from Ohio to LSU?
- [12:13] Andy discusses LSU and the fact that it is a system.
- [13:38] Andy speaks about his office, how it is structured, and how the workload is divided up.
- [16:29] Andy shares what he would like to see in his office if he had a magic wand.
- [17:55] He discusses some data on how many disclosures, licenses, and patents his office handled last year.
- [20:32] With your background in law, have you changed your office’s processes for patents?
- [22:50] Andy explains the process his office goes through for patent attorneys.
- [28:49] Andy shares that they only convert about 50% of their provisionals.
- [31:55] Have you had any patent litigation at LSU?
- [34:50] Andy discusses their corporate partners and how they work with LSU.
- [37:34] Andy speaks about some of his office’s biggest success stories.
- [39:52] Listen as Andy shares his office’s biggest challenges.
- [43:09] Andy talks about the programs they have in place for women entrepreneurs.
- [44:33] He discusses AUTM and his involvement with the organization.
- [47:49] How do you feel about credentialing and do you look for that when you are hiring?
- [50:00] Andy shares what he would wish for if he had a genie in a bottle granting him three wishes.
- [52:42] Thank you so much for being on the show!
Leave a Reply