If you aren’t aware of the extent of the depth and breadth of technology transfer, this episode with Alice Li will leave you with a whole new understanding and appreciation of the field.
As the Director of the Centre for Technology Licensing (CTL) at Cornell University, and with 18 years of university technology transfer under her belt, Alice is well positioned to discuss the way the field has evolved over time, and to offer advice on how to approach this continuously changing environment.
Alice’s management and licensing expertise is matched by her desire to serve; a powerful combination which she is using to catalyze meaningful developments in the technology transfer space!
In This Episode:
- [00:50] A rundown of Alice’s educational and career history.
- [03:05] The interdisciplinary nature of the technology transfer field, and how Alice was introduced to it.
- [05:16] How technology transfer has evolved over the years.
- [05:56] Alice explains the role of Cornell’s Centre for Technology Licensing (CTL).
- [07:47] Growth that Cornell’s gap funding series has experienced over the past few years, and the different stages that make up the series.
- [11:49] The venture funding environment at Cornell University.
- [12:58] How the CTL office is structured, and why it is structured in this way.
- [17:01] Variety that exists in the types of ecosystems that CTL works with.
- [18:12] The upsides and downsides of the COVID-19 pandemic for CTL.
- [19:34] Why Alice believes that defining and measuring progress is a key to success.
- [22:16] How the people you surround yourself with play a role in determining your outcomes.
- [24:20] Cornell’s approach to supporting start-up’s.
- [27:41] Alice shares some of Cornell’s biggest success stories.
- [31:00] Examples of how the technology transfer field is continuously changing, and the mindset that Alice has adopted in order to deal with it.
- [33:32] The importance of having a global reach and perspective.
- [36:17] How CTL is working towards enhancing diversity and inclusion.
- [39:31] Professional organizations that CTL is involved with.
- [42:43] Alice’s recently appointed role at AUTM, and what drove her to take it on.
- [45:10] Value that Alice sees in credentialing.
- [47:18] Hopes that Alice has for the future of CTL.