Today’s guest started his career as a salesman, and his many years of experience in the sales world equipped him with skills that have been indispensable throughout his journey as the director of Worcester Polytechnic Institute’s (WPI) Office of Technology Commercialization. Todd and his two team members are responsible for the commercializing effort at WPI, and since 2009 they have taken the technology transfer metrics at the university from zero to off the charts in relation to the size and financial standing of their office.
In today’s episode you’ll hear about the various technology transfer related programs that they run at the university, their well developed relationships with corporate partners, the unique way that Todd’s office celebrates receipts of patent licenses, and the invention which they helped to facilitate which is on track to make a global-scale positive impact!
In This Episode:
- [00:53] A rundown of Todd’s educational and professional background.
- [02:14] Todd’s original career path, and what led him to veer into the technology transfer field.
- [04:39] What WPI specializes in, and the important role being filled by Todd’s small yet powerful Office of Technology Commercialization.
- [07:50] The unique way that Todd’s office celebrates receipts of patent licenses (which has been adopted by other chapters of the National Academy of Inventors)
- [09:50] Radical increases in the technology transfer metrics at WPI since Todd’s appointment, and how his previous career influenced his ability to create such meaningful change.
- [11:57] One of the most important lessons that Todd learned about how to deal with an overwhelming workload.
- [13:10] WPI’s close ties to its corporate partners, and how these benefit the university.
- [15:27] How Todd manages expectations of the companies that they deal with.
- [16:50] The incredible story about an invention that Todd helped facilitate.
- [20:50] How WPI will benefit from the invention.
- [21:51] Challenges that Todd is currently facing.
- [22:44] WPI’s high percentage of women inventors and students.
- [24:43] Value Todd sees in technology transfer organizations.
- [25:57] Todd’s thoughts on credentialing at different stages of a person’s career.
- [26:40] What Todd loves most about his job, and his hope for the future of the field.