The University of South Florida (USF) is ranked top 10 in the US and top 20 worldwide for patents, and today’s guest, Michele Tyrpak, is a patent attorney who is currently the interim Associate Director of Technology Transfer at this prolific research university!
The overall aim of the Technology Transfer office is to shepherd ideas from USFs lab, to the marketplace, and Michele’s prior experience on the industry side has given her an invaluable perspective on how to bridge the gap that exists between the two. In today’s episode Michele explains the roles of the various teams which make up her office, and how each team contributes towards the ultimate goal.
We discuss some of the many innovative technologies that have come out of USF in recent years, including a 3D COVID swab and treatments for Alzheimers. Michele also shares some metrics which highlight how much her office has achieved, USFs approach to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, and the admirable goals she would like to see her office bring to fruition in the future!
In This Episode:
- [00:52] Introducing today’s guest, patent attorney and associate director of technology transfer at the University of South Florida (USF), Michele.
- [02:05] Michele shares the journey that led her to work in the technology transfer field.
- [04:22] An overview of the role of the technology transfer office at USF.
- [06:22] The size and structure of Michele’s office.
- [10:08] Metrics which highlight the effectiveness of USFs technology transfer office.
- [11:47] How Michele’s office supports start-ups which are formed at USF.
- [14:05] Funding that is available to start-ups at USF.
- [15:56] Examples of industry partners that Michele’s office has close relationships with.
- [17:28] Some of the most noteworthy technologies that have come out of USF.
- [20:20] The biggest issues that Michele’s office is currently facing.
- [21:06] Differences between the ways in which industry and educational institutions work; Michele shares her experience from both sides.
- [22:12] How USF emphasizes enhancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- [25:07] Organizations that USF is involved with, and the value that Michele sees in these connections.
- [27:10] Changes that Michele hopes to see take place in the technology transfer field in the future.