Many PhD recipients spend their careers in academia, but today’s guest, Dr. Isabel Ramos, decided that she wanted to apply her knowledge in the real world. Isabel’s current role is innovation manager at Siemens Healthineers, where she and her team work alongside universities and other partners to create technologies related to digital health.
In today’s episode, Isabel explains what she loves about her work, and the journey she took to reach the point she is now at in her career. A major part of this journey was her participation in the LifeArc AUTM Technology Transfer Fellows Program; the lessons she learned, and the lasting friendships she formed have played an influential role in determining her career trajectory. This is what the bulk of our discussion today consists of.
We end today’s episode with some valuable words of advice from Isabel from anyone who is considering a career in the technology transfer field.
In This Episode:
- [00:48] Welcoming today’s guest, Dr. Isabel Ramos.
- [02:04] Isabel shares her educational and professional background, leading up to her current position at Siemens Healthineers.
- [04:27] Research that is being done by Imperial Innovations, and why Isabel chose to work here.
- [06:06] How Isabel learned about the LifeArc Technology Transfer Fellows Programme, and how the application and selection processes work.
- [07:39] A US based technology transfer program that Isabel is aware of.
- [08:15] Benefits that LifeArc Technology Transfer fellows are entitled to.
- [10:13] Isabel shares some of the experiences she had while she was part of the LifeArc Fellows Programme.
- [13:04] Why one of the requirements for entry into the LifeArc Fellows Programme is that one has less than 9 months of experience in the technology transfer field.
- [14:58] The relationship that Isabel maintains with her mentor, and how he helped her while she was part of the Fellows Programme.
- [17:04] Differences between the way business in conducted in Europe and the US.
- [18:55] Conferences that Isabel has particularly enjoyed.
- [19:38] Valuable, lasting friendships that Isabel formed during the Fellows Programme.
- [22:01] Why Isabel is not registered on the RTTP, though she knows that many people do benefit from it.
- [23:20] Advice from Isabel for anyone who wants to enter the technology transfer sector.