Welcome to another episode of Tech Transfer IP. Today I am pleased to speak with Kirsten Leute, a Partner at Osage University Partners (OUP). At OUP, Kirsten is responsible for relationships with over 100 academic institutions that are partnered with the fund, engaging potential new partner institutions, and enhancing and creating value-add programs for the partnered academic institutions.
Kirsten has also been actively involved in Tech Transfer outside of her daily work. She was a former two-time board member for the Association of University Technology Managers and speaks frequently on university technology transfer. She is on the Board of Women in Bio.
Kirsten discusses what OUP is, the three funds they have under management that equal about 600 million dollars and how they decide which universities, research institutions, accelerators, etc., they work with. Listen as Kirsten tells us the difference between “core” and “associate” partnerships and how she and her team manage and work with over 100 academic institutions.
Kirsten also speaks about what the VOID is and some attributes that can help innovations make it through. Kirsten also mentions some companies OUP has backed and some successful acquisitions they have had. She believes AUTM has enabled every step she has taken in her career and life. Listen to why this organization is so important to her.
If Kirsten has three wishes for advancing university tech transfer, she would wish for more recognition for the terrific work tech transfer offices do; she would wish for more resources to continue doing more and easier paths to move things forward without so much red tape.
In This Episode:
- [02:07] Welcome to the show, Kirsten!
- [02:29] Kirsten shares her journey into Tech Transfer and how she ended up at OUP.
- [06:36] Kirsten discusses OUP and what it is about.
- [08:25] She speaks about the three funds that have about 600 million dollars under management.
- [09:11] Kirsten shares how they decide which universities, research institutions, accelerators, etc., they work with.
- [10:43] Can you tell us the difference between “core” and “associate” partnerships?
- [12:39] Kirsten speaks about how she and her team manage and work with over 100 academic institutions.
- [16:43] Kirsten shares some attributes that help innovations make it through the VOID.
- [20:51] Kirsten talks about some companies that OUP has backed.
- [22:41] She also speaks about some successful acquisitions they have had.
- [23:46] What does OUP do to help encourage and assist women and other traditionally under-represented inventors and entrepreneurs?
- [26:47] Kirsten discusses what AUTM means to her and how they have enabled every step she has taken in her journey.
- [30:45] Kirsten shares her three wishes for advancing university tech transfer.
- [34:17] Thank you for being on the show!