Today’s guest, Jeff Purnell, has an engineering degree, a PhD in chemistry, and is currently working as a senior technology licensing officer in the Office of Technology Transfer at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB). Prior to this, Jeff held various R&D and product development roles in major companies.
The goal of Jeff’s department, which is one of three situated in UMB’s Office of Research and Development, is to commercialize university IP so that it can benefit society. In this episode, Jeff gives some examples of the innovations that he and his team have been instrumental in bringing to the public, as well as the exciting new technology that he recently licensed and has high hopes for.
Among other topics, our conversation covers some of the most important learnings Jeff has had through his experience at UMB, the biggest challenges he has faced, and what he believes to be the most critical determinant of success in the field of technology transfer.
In This Episode:
- [02:23] Jeff shares the major aspects of his postgraduate journey and the coincidence which led him to his current role at University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
- [04:12] The three departments which make up the Office of Research and Development at UMB.
- [04:38] Groups within the Office of Technology Transfer, where Jeff works, and the goals of this department.
- [05:28] Jeff shares some background information on the university system of Maryland, and explains why the Centre for Maryland Advanced Ventures (CMAV) was created.
- [07:39] Supporting functions of the CMAV initiative.
- [09:04] The structure of the Office of Technology Transfer at UMB.
- [11:03] Why Jeff believes that relationships are the key to success in the field of technology transfer.
- [12:01] Jeff sheds light on the importance of UMB’s corporate partnerships.
- [13:44] What Jeff has learned from the time he has spent working in technology transfer at UMB.
- [15:00] Examples of some of the biggest successes that Jeff’s office has achieved.
- [16:06] An exciting technology that Jeff recently licensed.
- [17:11] Challenges that Jeff experiences in his line of work.
- [19:27] The initiatives that UMB is involved in which focus on underrepresented groups in technology transfer.
- [20:18] Why Jeff thinks organizations like AUTM are so valuable, and his opinion on credentialing.
- [21:35] Jeff’s big dreams for the future.
Leave a Reply