“Our preferred approach is effectively commercializing research outcomes before we create IP.” Listen as Lisa and guest Tim Boyle discuss his journey to Tech Transfer, how his office is structured, and the role of philanthropic organizations, plus much more on this episode of Tech Transfer IP.
Tim is the Director of Innovation & Commercialisation at ANSTO – Australia’s Nuclear Science and Technology Organization, Founder and Lead Executive of the Nandin Innovation Centre, Adjunct Professor with Design Factory Melbourne, and Global Expert Faculty with Singularity University.
Listen as Tim shares his journey to Tech Transfer, what led him to take the position at ANTSO, and what ANTSO is and everything it is involved in. Tim also speaks about his role at the Nandin Innovation Centre, how his office is structured, and the number of disclosures his office receives per year.
Tim discusses the role of corporate partners at ANTSO, their philanthropic funds, and where they invest them. Tim shares what he would do differently when he first started in tech transfer if he knew then what he knows now. Listen as Tim shares some of his office’s biggest success stories and the challenges his small office faces.
Tim speaks about the RTTP designation, how it is obtained, how long it takes, and the benefits of the designation. Tim gives us insight into his amazing career, what he’s learned along the way, and what has meant most to him. He also discusses how he believes Tech Transfer will change because of COVID-19.
In This Episode:
- [02:54] Welcome to the show, Tim!
- [03:39] Tim shares his journey to tech transfer and what led him to ANTSO.
- [06:10] Tim speaks about the tech transfer office he worked in at Thomson Reuters.
- [08:24] He discusses what ANTSO it is about and what they are involved in.
- [10:47] Tim shares about his role at the Nandin Innovation Centre.
- [13:25] How is your office structured?
- [16:15] Tim speaks about how many disclosures they get per year.
- [19:42] Listen as Tim discusses the role of corporate partners in technology transfer at ANSTO.
- [22:01] Tim talks about their corporate partners also being research partners.
- [24:57] Tim shares their philanthropic funds and where they invest them.
- [26:00] What would you do differently if you knew then what you know now?
- [29:17] Tim discusses their approach to their relationships with corporate partners.
- [30:58] He shares some of his office’s biggest success stories.
- [33:13] Tim speaks about their mentoring and learning program at ANTSO.
- [35:08] What challenges do you face being such a small office?
- [38:26] Tim discusses the ATTP organization, its mission, and its goals.
- [41:38] How do you think tech transfer will change because of COVID-19?
- [43:52] Tech transfer is a collaborative creative endeavor that translates knowledge and research that impacts the economy.
- [45:35] Tim speaks about the core competencies and how they can demonstrate their established track record.
- [49:21] Can people apply for RTTP status anytime during the year, or are the specific times?
- [50:43] How long does it take a person to achieve one of the two statuses?
- [54:18] Tim shares how important volunteering is and how it benefits a person.
- [56:10] Listen as Tim speaks about the benefits of having the RTTP credentials.
- [59:03] Tim discusses that ATTP is a global profession, although every country has different perspectives.
- [01:01:15] Tim shares what he has learned over his incredible tech transfer career and what has meant the most to him.
- [01:05:01] Thank you so much for being on the show!