Tatiana Litvin-Vechnyak grew up in a family that was heavily involved in STEM, and she always had plans to become a doctor. However, while studying, she came across the field of technology transfer which combined her interests in science, business, law, and strategy, and meant that she could be at the cutting edge of research.
To date, Tatiana has over 18 years of experience in IP management, and for over 13 years has been overseeing patenting and licensing related activities at Rutgers University. She is currently the Associate Vice President of Innovation Ventures, and has built up an office which is viewed as a partner and a doer in the innovation space.
In today’s episode, Tatiana shares the diverse make-up of her large team, some of the life-changing technologies that they have been instrumental in developing (including the first approved enzyme replacement therapy delivered directly to the brain), how (and why) they maintain close relationships with outside counsel, and more!
In This Episode:
- [00:50] An overview of the educational and professional background of today’s guest, Tatiana Litvin-Vechnyak.
- [02:58] How Tatiana’s desire to become a doctor evolved into a career in technology transfer.
- [07:02] The size of Rutgers University and the scope of its operation.
- [07:48] Work that is done by Tatiana’s Innovation Ventures team, and the mission that drives them.
- [08:38] Tatiana explains the structure of her large and diverse team at Rutgers.
- [11:18] Technology transfer metrics which highlight some of the successes that Tatiana and her team achieved in 2021.
- [13:23] Services at Rutgers that are designed to support and facilitate startups.
- [17:08] Tatiana explains how the Rutgers Tech Advance Fund, Health Advance Fund, and Genesis Seed Fund’s work.
- [21:44] Valuable partnerships that Rutgers has with corporate and government organizations.
- [24:13] Why and how Rutgers maintains close relationships with numerous external law firms.
- [28:38] Some of the life-changing innovations which have been developed at Rutgers.
- [31:35] The three biggest challenges currently being faced by the Innovation Ventures team at Rutgers.
- [34:25] How the Innovation Ventures team upholds Rutgers commitment to enhancing diversity, and the various other programs at the university which focus on this goal.
- [36:50] Growth that Tatiana has seen take place at AUTM over the past few years.
- [38:10] Tatiana’s hopes for the future of technology transfer at Rutgers.
Leave a Reply