Throughout William Vaughan’s career, he has been spearheading change; from his time in the Governor’s office of Science and Technology where he was involved in developing Ohio’s third frontier (tech-based economic development), to his role as the Director of Technology Transfer at the Colorado School of Mines where he has helped transform the culture into one which is highly entrepreneurial.
In today’s episode, William shares what the last 13 years have looked like at Mines, with himself as the sole member of its Technology Transfer Office, and how their technology transfer metrics have soared as a result of the programs he has been instrumental in implementing.
We also discuss some of the most memorable inventions to come out of Mines, the external organizations that they have close relationships with, the funding channels they utilize for their inventors, and more!
In This Episode:
- [00:52] Some background information on today’s guest, William Vaughan.
- [02:04] An overview of William’s career journey; from governor’s office of Science and Technology to his current position as Director of Technology Transfer at the Colorado School of Mines.
- [05:17] William shares the history of Mines, and what their scope of work consists of now.
- [07:13] The role that William played in changing the culture of Mines to make it more entrepreneurial.
- [09:00] People within Mines whom William works closely with.
- [11:47] Growth in technology transfer metrics that Mines has experienced over the past few years.
- [13:43] Methods by which Mines supports the creation and sustainability of startups coming out of the institution.
- [16:22] State and non-state funding that inventors at Mines’ receive.
- [18:21] William mentions a few of the external partners that Mines has a close relationship with, including NREL and USGS.
- [21:23] Some of the most memorable technologies to come out of Mines.
- [24:43] The biggest challenge that William experiences in his role.
- [26:45] Mines’ approach to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion at the university.
- [28:38] Value that William sees in being involved in AUTM.
- [30:28] William’s 3 wishes for Mines.